So, as many of you may know, I will not be returning to Ryegate to teach my little rugrats next school year. This was a personal decision based on safety and then the school board made it a little easier by not renewing my contract. I don't really know why I officially did not get my contract renewed but rumor has it that there are a couple of people that do not think I know how to do my job. That said, I know that there are things that I stink at when I am teaching. One of those things is trying to figure something out when I have 16 kids shouting out at me to answer their questions because they think I should just drop everything and help them and only them at THIS MINUTE!
I do not consider this year a failure because I have learned so much about what it takes to make a small school function, how to juggle multiple grades and keep the parents happy. I have managed to keep some of them happy, though not all. You can't spend every minute trying to make everyone happy right?? Right. I did have a parent come in a few weeks ago and again tell me that I needed help so I told her that the two options were to have the colony pay for another person to be out here or come in and help herself. I was quickly told "I have a full day." My mouth said "well, that is your decision but it is an option," but my mind was thinking "And I don't have a full day???" Scheesch!!
Amoung the things I have learnd is that this is definately the right profession for me. I have been approached with the question, "is this the right profession for you?" The answer is a vehemit YES!! I still want to inspire some kid to do what ever he wants to do. Maybe some student I inspire will invent the space craft that will take the first living object to Mars. Who knows?
As for next year I am going to go to graduate school full time and work a part time job. Right now Starbucks is looking to be my best work lead at this point. I am also going to travel.
I love you! MOM
ReplyDelete